Is the American flag on the left or right?
Is the American flag on the left or right?
When flown with flags of states, communities or societies on separate flag poles which are of the same height and in a straight line, the Flag of the United States is always placed in the position of honor—to its own right (observer’s left). Note: the other flags may be smaller, but none may be larger.
What are the rules for American flag?
The flag should never touch anything beneath it, such as the ground, the floor, water, or merchandise. The flag should never be carried flat or horizontally, but always aloft and free. The flag should never be used as wearing apparel, bedding, or drapery.
Is there a wrong way to display American flag?
There’s a right and a wrong way to hang the flag vertically. Don’t hang your flag backwards, upside down, or in another inappropriate fashion. If you’re hanging your flag vertically (like from a window or against a wall), the Union portion with the stars should go on the observer’s left.
In what order should flags be displayed?
What order should they be in? Facing the display, from left to right: US flag, state flag, company flag….The correct order of precedence is:
- Marine Corps.
- Air Force.
- Coast Guard.
Where should you put a flag on a house?
Ideally, an American flag on your house should hang from a staff that angles out from the front wall or a windowsill or balcony. It’s a good idea to screw a bracket made for holding the flagstaff to the trim. Fasten it securely and so the flag won’t become soiled or damaged.
What are three things one should never do out of respect to the flag?
Quick list of Flag Etiquette Don’ts:
- Don’t dip the U.S. Flag for any person, flag, or vessel.
- Don’t let the flag touch the ground.
- Don’t fly flag upside down unless there is an emergency.
- Don’t carry the flag flat, or carry things in it.
- Don’t use the flag as clothing.
- Don’t store the flag where it can get dirty.
What is the proper way to display a flag?
When displayed either horizontally or vertically against a wall, the union should be uppermost and to the flag’s own right, that is, to the observer’s left. When displayed in a window it should be displayed in the same way, that is with the union or blue field to the left of the observer in the street.
Why do they fold the flag in a triangle?
The flag gets folded into a triangle because it is actually meant to resemble a tri-cornered hat, like the ones worn by George Washington and other soldiers who served in the Continental Army during the Revolutionary War. By the end of the folding, the flag’s red and white stripes should no longer be visible.
What are some rules for properly displaying the American flag?
A Proper Display: The Flag Etiquette Rules You Need to Know Display the American Flag the Highest. Fly It to the Viewer’s Left. Hang With the Union on the Viewer’s Left. Light the Flag at Night. Take It Down in Bad Weather. Know When to Fly It at Half Staff. Additional Flag Etiquette Rules. Follow Flag Etiquette Rules.
What is the proper way to display the US flag?
The proper way to display the flag of the United States of America is with the union, or the field of stars, at the peak of a staff or flagpole. When hung on a wall, the union should be at the top left side. When displayed with other flags, position the U.S. flag on the right side.
How to properly display an American flag?
– Dip it for any person or thing, even though state flags, regimental colors and other flags may be dipped as a mark of honor. (See Tips = Salute) – Display it with the union down, except as a signal of distress. – Let the flag touch anything beneath it: ground, floor, water, merchandise. – Fasten or display it in a way that will permit it to be damaged or soiled. – Place or write anything on the flag, including letters, insignia, or designs of any kind. – Use it for holding anything. – Use it as wearing apparel, bedding or drapery. – Use it on a costume or athletic uniform (however, a flag patch may be attached to the uniform of patriotic organizations, military personnel, police officers and firefighters). – Use the flag for advertising or promotion purposes or print it on paper napkins, boxes or anything else intended for temporary use and discard. – Use it for decoration of any kind. Use bunting of red, white and blue stripes instead. – Use it for advertising.
What is the proper placement of the American flag?
This means your flag should be positioned to the left side of your front door, not the right. You may display the flag from a staff hung at an angle or horizontally from the front of the home, and the union should always be placed at the top or end of the staff unless the flag is flying at half staff.